Nonprofit organizations have access to numerous software applications and services, at greatly reduced or no cost. These include:
- Software applications, such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.) and Google Gsuite
- Payment gateway transaction fees
- Business email accounts, hosting, and management
- Cloud storage accounts, with document sharing and synchronization
- Accounting software (e.g. Quickbooks and Microsoft Office)
- Customer and Donor Management Software
- File backup services
- Adwords credits
- Password management services
- … and the list goes on!
Most 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations are eligible for:
Office Productivity Suites
- Microsoft for Nonprofits – get Microsoft Office 365 for Nonprofits (online access to Office) for free, or including Office for desktop at $2/month/user (includes Word, Excel, etc.). Also get free email accounts and management.
- Google for Nonprofits – includes email accounts and management, Google Drive storage, Adwords credits, customized You Tube videos, donation support.
Payment Gateway Transaction fees
- Paypal and Stripe both offer nonprofit pricing on transaction fees, currently of 2.2% (as compared with 2.9% for normal business accounts). See
Software, Web Services, and Hardware Discounts
- Tech Soup offers discounts on an extensive array of hardware and software, to qualifying nonprofits, including Quickbooks, Microsoft Office, and Zoom; 501(c)3 status required.
- Mailchimp offers a 15% discount to nonprofits, and similarly for other email service providers (see the NonprofitWP link below for more info).
- Gravity Forms offers discounted pricing for nonprofits.
- Zapier, for connecting apps in the cloud, offers a free starter plan or a 15% discount on upgraded plans (starting around $18 per month); the upgrade is required for multi-step sequences, which are required for most zaps. An alternative is Integromat, which includes multi-step sequences in its free starter plan (but the number of integrations is fewer).
- Shortpixel Image Optimizer offers free plans, according to NonprofitWP (see link below)
- Canva, for media graphics, offers a free plan.
- Buffer, for social media posting, offers 50% off on their plans.
- Hootsuite, for social media posting, offers up to 50% discount on their plans.
- Events Calendar Pro offers free personal licenses to nonprofits.
- Hotjar, the fast and easy way to visualize user behavior on your website. Free plans for nonprofits.
Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) Tools
- Salesforce for Nonprofits is now available for free as their Nonprofit Success Pack (NPSP) running the lightning force version of Salesforce.
Cloud Storage and Document Sharing
- Microsoft OneDrive for Business and Google Drive (see above)
- Dropbox for Business offers discounts for nonprofits; they don’t specify the amount, but it appears to be around 30%, which reduces the current subscription of $12.50/mo/user to around $9/month/user (minimum, 5 users). (For general information about Dropbox, see Dropbox – File Synchronization on Multiple Computers.
Account and Password Management
Use password management services to store all of your passwords using a single master password. A variety of services are available, but Lastpass is commonly used and recommended if you wish to share passwords with another user (the passwords can be visible or hidden); you can also grant a third party emergency access. All of these features are useful for an orgaization.
- Lastpass may offer a discounted rates to nonprofits, but you will need to contact them directly to inquire.
- Backup your computer! For example, try Crashplan ($50 per year, unlimited storage)
Free Stuff for Nonprofits on the NonprofitWP website.
Please comment with additional options and opportunities for non-profits.
Image credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cambodia4kidsorg/4154945416 (shared under Creative Commons 2.0).